Have buldged disc in spine. Got steroid shots. Knee is popping and painful. Having severe pain. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I had a tkr on Apri 15th. Recovered fine. 5degrees to 129. Last day of physcal therapy I bulged two discs L4 and L5 in the spine. Took 4 doctors and three months to get into a pain clinic and get steroid shots which killed the pain. Now my knee is popping and is painful. The tendon behind my knee is painful and I can no longer manage the stairs. My most worrying problem is about once a week I wake up in severe pain and my knee is paralysed. It will not move at my command. I have to wiggle up to a seated position and move the knee manually. As soon as I move it the pain goes away. My surgeon says the knee is fine but...............
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
There could be infection.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

If your pain is localized to knee and surrounding then postoperative infection can be a possibility.
I will advise you some blood investigation like CBC, ESR, and CRP.
Collateral ligament instability post operatively can be a reason in this case pain will remain persistent on walking and sitting.

Another differential due to disc problem there is loss of inervation and you are not able to move your leg.
You can do EMG-NCV study to further confirm that.

For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started.
I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level,

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Have buldged disc in spine. Got steroid shots. Knee is popping and painful. Having severe pain. What to do? 56 minutes later
There is no outward sign of infection. No swelling, no redness or no heat in the knee. i can walk and sit in relative comfort. I can't go up or down stairs without real pain both on the right side of the knee cap and the tendon behind my knee.
What I am concerned about is the paralysis on waking up. Doesn't happen at any other time. Happens about once a week. The pain is unbelievable, but both the pain and the paralysis disappear as soon as I move the knee. I haven't heard of anyone else having this. Are you suggesting a pinched nerve? The spinal problem affected the other leg, not the one with the new knee.

Brief Answer:
Pinched nerve can affect both legs

Detailed Answer:
Hello

That is good that there are no signs of infection.

Paralysis can be due to nerve compression which can some time affect both legs.
Another possibility of weakness due muscle cramps and spasm.
EMG -NCV study will help in diagnosis.

I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level