What is the treatment for blockage near anastomosis or paralytic ileus without medical intervention?
User rating for this question
My husband underwent bowel surgery to remove 2/3 of his colon and the small intestine and remaining colon were reattached. That was Dec. 18th. He was allowed to come home on the 24th after his first meal and without having a bowel movement.. On Dec. 25th we took him back by ambulance as he was vomiting, his stomach was distended and he was not passing very much through his bowel. They readmitted him, put a tube down into his stomach, put intravenous on him and at 11 days after his surgery his small intestine is not responding and in fact is silent. There appears to be a blockage but they are hope he can get his small intestine working by walking and walking. How long can this go on without other intervention and what would that intervention be? He had severe bleeding during the first surgery requiring transfusion and was dangerously allergic to the anticoagulant they had given him. Would a surgery now be minimal and would it restore the small intestine?
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer: blockage near anastomosis or paralytic ileus. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case with diligence. As per your history and symptoms there is possibility of blockage near anastomosis or paralytic ileus. If blockage is complete then immediate surgery is required, for partial obstruction we can wait for couple of weeks. For paralytic ileus medical management with IV fluids are required, if not resolved then surgery may be required. As per your history there is also possibility of post operative infection so recovery can be delayed. If surgery is required now, mostly it will be small surgery. As you are having chronic diseases so it’s better to improve immunity by healthy diet and herbs Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.
People also viewed
- Does brown discharge and spotting indicate implantation bleeding
- Does sore breast and stomach pain indicate pregnancy
- Diagnosis of paralytic ileus
- What diet and treatment should be taken
- Paralytic ileus causes
- Paralytic ileus signs and symptoms
- Inflamed vein in palm
- Drugs/medication for paralytic ileus
- What is lichenoid inflammation
- Which treatment gives best result for removal of pimples
- 2 track infections within a week
- Inflamed and sore superficial inguinal ring
- Treatment and cure for paralytic ileus
- Can warfarin make a man infertile
- What are the side effects of tattooing