Have bakers cyst and ostechondroma on knee. Had ruptured cyst and fluid coming out causing swelling and pain

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a bakers cyst on my left knee, Also oseoarthritis on left knee and ostechondroma on proximal tibia on left leg. the cyst ruptured in Feb 2013 and continues to build fluid and pain with a bulge constantly at the back of my knee and my calf is swollen and feels fluid is running into my calf. I have tried exercises and ice. I have developed a limp and am in pain doing normal things like walking to the bus, cooking or doing household chores, have allergies to nsaids and tylenol arthritis does not help. Is the constant swelling damaging my body? How do I get past the constant forming of the cysts rupture pain? Am waiting for a mri 6 months
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The Baker's cyst is inflammatory in nature and the inflammatory fluid that is oozing out is causing the swelling and the pain that you are having. An MRI scan will help in assessing the extent of damage your knee joint has due to the cysts. If it is a large amount of fluid then you can get some local steroid injections at the site after consulting your orthopedician. Surgical treatment also needs to be considered if the injections are not helpful.
Meanwhile do a hot fomentation regularly to help with your symptoms.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.