What are the causes for swollen knee cap after a vein burst behind my knee?

I had a vein burst in my leg behind my knee about a week ago and now it appears a vein running up the side of my knee cap is swollen and painful looking enlarged almost bruised
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: welcome Detailed Answer: Your symptoms suggest that you have got venous thrombosis. It's close to an emergency and one needs immediate care for this. As complication like rapid spread to other vein and distant thrombosis are known. I would suggest to see doctor or go to ER immediately. Doctor would get a color doppler done to confirm diagnosis and put you on blood thinners. hope this helps. Please ask if there are doubts.