Have bacterial infection in digestive system and herpes simplex virus 1 on genitals. Related?

Jan 2013

I recently was diagnosed with a bacterial infection in my digestive system. I had foul smelling and excessive flatulence and belching, bloating, loud intestinal gurgling, nausea vomiting, and semi solid stool with non digested food on the inside. I took flagyl two times a day for seven days and finished taking it 4.5 days ago. The vomiting, bloating, nausea, and excessive foul smelling gas has subsided. However, I am still constantly belching, I have semi solid stools, and my intestines are still constantly gurgling. My doctor never told me exactly what kind of infection I had and I'm wondering if this is now just from not having any good bacteria in my system from the antibiotics? Should I wait to tell my doctor what is going on? Or should I keep eating yogurt for a while to see if that works? I'm worried. Also, I was recently diagnosed with outbreak was on January 20th, which was actually the same time I had started noticing the symptoms of the bacterial infection. I there any relation? Or just a coincidence?
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 53 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of gastrointestinal infection and decreased gastrointestinal motility.
Presence of acidic belching, bloating and gargling sound, nausea and vomiting suggests the diagnosis.

Although its very difficult to prove the causative agent of gastrointestinal infection on clinical basis.
Bacterial infection are associated with fever, nausea and vomiting, frequent urge to use washroom but not getting any thing out, bleeding per rectum.
Viral infection is associated with fever, severe cramping pain, watery loose diarrhea, foul smelling stools and excessive gargling sound.

So with the available described details, there appears to high chances of viral infection as all features are supportive except consistency of stools.

Herpes simplex genitalis is due a virus known as Hepres simplex Type II and this virus may cause ulcers but never causes diarrhea. There is least chances of gastrointestinal infection caused by this virus.

You should consult with your treating doctor/ XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
You should take complete antibiotic therapy containing cefixime and ofloxacin & ornidazole.
You should also take probiotics, antispasmodics and proton pump inhibitors along with prokinetics.

As such there is no correlation between PCOD, migraine with above described symptoms.

You can ask direct query on this URL:

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava