Have back pain and taking pain killer to reduce it. Suggest?

Hi i have a back pain since 3 months, and i am not able to control it, I am just taking pain killer tablets to reduce my pain... It's really paining a lot. Please suggest and help me.
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

I understand your concern. Back pain can be frustrating as well as difficult to treat if the proper cause is not found. Since there are plenty of causes of back ache - ergonomic related, weight induced, trauma, vertebral changes, nerve compression, systemic illness, etc., etc., - the right treatment could be planned only after thorough evaluation.

Can you answer few of my questions to understand the cause of back ache?
1. How severe is the pain on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the most severe pain you ever had)?
2. Is the pain continuous in nature?
3. Do you find any factor such as exertion, back movement, walking and so on that aggravates this pain?
4. Are you able to walk normally? Are you able to hold your chappals or does it slip out easily while walking?
5. Is there any abnormal sensations in the lower limb?
6. Any problems while passing stool/urine?
7. How did the back ache start - can you describe the events (if you remember)? Did you sustain any injury?
8. Have you seen a doctor? If yes, any tests done?

I shall await your reply...
Follow-up: Have back pain and taking pain killer to reduce it. Suggest? 1 hour later
1. 8
2. Yes at times
3. Nothing as such, If i am driving i am getting this pain at times while sitting for a long time at office or at home.
4. Yes i am able to walk Run
5. Yes
6. Nope, A pain when i sit
7. Not sure, but a year back i met with an accident nothing serious injury.
8. Not at all, Pain comes in a week and remains for a week. and the same thing happens.

Please Help me as i am going to get married in December or i need to stop it, Please help or suggest, it should hurt my family life.

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 56 minutes later

Thanks for updating.

As I mentioned in my previous reply, backaches are caused by various condition. One of those serious conditions is due to structural problems of vertebra or due to nerve compression. Your description is not consistent with both these. Therefore, you need not be seriously worried.

I am sure, we are not dealing with a very serious concern which cannot be managed. You can plan your marriage as per schedule. I hope this allays your worst fears.

That being said, without an opportunity to physically examine you and review investigation report, it would be a daunting task to identify the close possible cause of this pain. It may be related to improper posture, lack of proper ergonomics at work/driving or may be due to degenerative changes of the vertebra. Hence, it would be worthwhile to consult an orthopedic surgeon and get yourself examined and evaluated. He/she can perform a detailed clinical examination order few blood test and X-rays/scan to exclude various other causes.

In the meantime, I encourage you to practice proper ergonomics. Maintain proper weight. You can try back strengthening exercise/physiotherapy under guidance. And during acute pain, you can continue painkillers for a few days with calcium supplements and warm compress.

I hope this information suffices. Will be glad to help you further if you need clarification.

Follow-up: Have back pain and taking pain killer to reduce it. Suggest? 16 hours later
Thanks a lot sir,
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 minutes later

If you have no more questions, please close this discussion and leave your feed back.