Have an elongated uvula and touching top of tongue. Quit smoking. What could be the reason?

ENT Specialist
I have an elongated uvula, it is touching the top of my tongue. It is not painful, or inhibiting my breathing, just annoying and a little bit worrying. I have just recently quit smoking, none for three weeks. I am 168cm tall, and weigh 79kilograms.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If asymptomatic then there is no need to worry

Detailed Answer:
HI Sir,

If enlargement or elongation of the uvula is asymptomatic, then there is no need to worry.

If it is symptomatic and touches various structures other than tongue in the upper airway, including the posterior pharyngeal wall, epiglottis, and even the vocal folds then there is need to go for further management. Because irritation of these structures can contribute to chronic cough, dysphagia, a globus sensation, vomiting, snoring and sleep apnea.

The problem can be corrected by uvulectomy. I recommend you to consider this surgery only if you develop symptoms.

Hope this helps. If you have any doubt, I will available for your query.