Have a stent in left coronary artery. Why am I feeling skipped heartbeat and cold?

I have a stent in my left coronary artery since 2008. The last 2 weeks I have developed a symptom. It feels like my heart skips thena thud feeling and then I cough. I am on Plavix, Metatoperol and a baby aspirin everyday. I am anemic right now and have been taking iron for the last couple of weeks.
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The thing to do will be to see your Physician / cardiologist as soon as possible.

Your description of the symptom very likely means ectopic beats...A thorough history and physical examination is the first step. Routine 12-lead Electrocardiogram (ECG) is part of clinical examination. If a routine ECG does not show, 24 to 48 hour ambulatory monitoring (Holter) is done to analyse and plan for further management. Some laboratory work-up also is routine - like electrolytes (Potassium) will be necessary. There are several options - stepping up the dose of metoprolol may be considered. Your cardiologist will decide depending on the investigations.

Do you have angina (Chest pain)? Does it in anyway resemble the symptoms, you had before the stent? If there is any suggestion – even doubt – you must immediately go to ER – for ECG and cardiac markers (CK, Troponin)

The cause of anaemia needs investigation – chronic yet small blood loss from Gastro-intestinal tract is the first possibility. Stool analysis for occult blood is necessary. There may be other reasons – it is likely that they have already investigated and hence given iron...

Wishing you speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Have a stent in left coronary artery. Why am I feeling skipped heartbeat and cold? 13 hours later
I do not have any chest pain and no symtpoms as I had before the stent. The cause of my anemia has been decided that it is caused from the Plavix. I have had many tests done and they really didnt know what could be causing it other than the Plavix and it beig a side effect of it. My anemia started in 2009..and I usually battle it twice a year. I am under alot of stress from my job. So I thought the recent symptoms of the skipped heartbet may be steaming from that.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 42 minutes later
It is 'heartening' to know that you have no angina
It is great to know that there is no serious underlying cause for anaemia.
Yes, stress is a very important factor for this. You might be aware of the "Type A personality" - it could even precipitate angina. Take care.
You have your own life to enjoy - Why should you allow yourself to be influenced by others and external environment? Relax! Look at things from a different perspective. Take things positively. Yoga and other relaxation techniques could help. (Sorry, it looks like a sermon?)
An anxiolytic like alprazolam can help in short term. If your basic rate and pressure are OK, stepping up your metoprolol dose may help - your internist will assess and advise.

All the best
Good luck