Experienced discomfort in chest during work out. Feeling light-headedness, insomnia and thirst

While in Colorado last week I experienced chest discomfort. I was okay in Denver,but as we climbed to 8,500 feet I experienced "typical" systems of light-headedness, insomnia and thirst, but also some chest discomfort and at times some jaw pain. The next day the chest pain was gone, but I did experience some light headedness as we climbed a little higher the next day. By day three all symptoms were gone, but I never slept very well.
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stress induced angina to be investigated

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read your query in detail.

As you clearly say that the chest discomfort, light headedness in association with insomnia and thirst were experienced after a climb, the possibility of physical stress induced angina must be investigated completely. Also as you have mentioned slight hypertension, this evaluation becomes all the more important.

Please note that hydrochlorothiazide can cause increased thirst and this must be discussed with your doctor.

You must discuss in detail about your problems with a cardiologist. Few blood tests including cardiac enzymes must be done. An ECG and echocardiography will show any changes in your heart rhythm and contractility.

If felt necessary, a treadmill test (TMT) may also be suggested to study stress induced cardiac functioning.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor