Felt chest pain when take deep breathe or when turn upper body. Cause?

Cardiologist
Question
Hello Doctor. Starting from today morning till now I feel slight pain on my right side chest. When I take a deep breath or when I try to turn my upper body towards right and left, I feel the pain. Do you know the reason for that? I am 29 year old and working between 4PM to 1AM shift time. Its happening frequently...I am worried about it. Please advise, should I need to take any scan?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please see details.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
1. Pain which occurs on taking a deep breath or on turning around is less likely to be anginal (heart angina) in origin. Pain which occurs on deep breathing can occur in cases of swelling in covering of lung (pleura), swelling in covering of heart (pericardium) or due to injuries of bone/ soft tissue of chest wall (local pain).
2. The pain arising from covering of lungs is maximum at height of inspiration, it is usually associated with fever, cough and difficulty in breathing. It will be more on lying on the side of pain.
3. The pain arising from covering of heart will be similar to that of lung's covering but it will be more central and will be relieved to some extent by sitting and bending forward. It may also be associated with fever and shortness of breath.
4. Pain arising from local tissue will increase on touch and pressure and it will be feasible to localize it. It will also be elicited by any movement of that part of chest.
5. I recommend you to visit emergency room (ER) to have an examination as exact cause of pain can be decided by examination and, at times, by investigations only.
6. Although the possibility of an anginal pain is less likely as per the description but it can not be ruled out 100% on the basis of history only, hence you should get yourself examined on priority.
Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss further.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder

Follow-up: Felt chest pain when take deep breathe or when turn upper body. Cause? 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,

If am not wrong, Its better to take scan to confirm what is exactly causing pain right. I was wondering it could be something else. Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not exactly so, please see details.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
The requirement or choice of scan can be determined only after clinical examination. Moreover, a scan may not be required in all cases. For example in case of local tissue injury, we first give a trial of therapy only and majority of patients do not require investigations.
Any investigation is meant to provide certain information. It will not tell us the exact diagnosis out of the few possibilities. It only tells us about presence or absence of the particular disease for which the investigation is meant. Hence investigations should always be directed by clinical information, examination and relevant possibilities.
I hope I made it a bit more clearer.
Feel free to write if there is anything else.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder

Follow-up: Felt chest pain when take deep breathe or when turn upper body. Cause? 3 minutes later
Thanks you so much doctor.

Now I understood clearly.

Brief Answer:
you are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
you are welcome sir.
sincerely
Sukhvinder