Have a small painless lump in belly button that moves when pushed. What could it be?

General Surgeon
Have a small painless lumb in my belly button that moves when I push it.
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 44 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Small painless lump in the belly button is most likely umbilical hernia. Hernia is a small hole in the abdominal wall. Through this hole fatty tissue (omentum) and sometimes intestines can get out from abdominal cavity. If this fatty tissue is able to freely come back to the abdominal cavity, no pain is present.

However there is a risk of getting stuck such tissues. If the fatty tissue (or intestine) wont be able to get back to the abdominal cavity, it will get compressed what leads to necrosis. If the intestine gets necrotic, urgent surgery is necessary.

That is why I suggest you to visit general surgeon and consider risk of such situation. Surgery can be done to fix this hole.

In a meanwhile avoid lifting heavy objects.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.