Have a mixed thyroid nodule with vascularity. Having pain in throat and ear. Are these connected?

ENT Specialist
I have a mixed thyroid nodule with vascularity and possible microcalcifications. I had a biopsy done last week and am awaiting results. This nodule I am told is also very fast growing. I am now able to see the nodule and have pain in throat and ear with a taste like blood in mouth. are these connected?
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The solitary thyroid nodule and taste like blood in the mouth are usually not related.

2. Anxiety, acid reflux dehydration, dental and gum problems or vitamin C deficiency are the leading causes of taste like blood in the mouth.

3. The only rare association that is possible is the presence of a lingual thyroid in the mid-line on the tongue (from where the thyroid gland arises in the growing foetus).

4. To detect this rare condition you will need a tongue examination, palpation, CT/MRI Scans and Radioactive tracer uptake Thyroid Scan.

I must emphasize that there is no cause for worry. Wait for your biopsy report and co-relate this with your thyroid hormone levels and USG (ultrasound) reports. You may follow up with your reports here for further advice.

Thyroid disease is 15 times more common in women than men. A fast growing thyroid swelling is most likely to be thyroiditis or a toxic solitary nodule. Sometimes bleeding into a cystic thyroid nodule causes sudden enlargement.

Though it may be argued that your age, mixed nodule with increased vascularity and possible microcalcifications suggest the possibility of a papillary thyroid carcinoma, it is better to wait for the awaited biopsy report than to jump to conclusions. This is because the changes may also be seen in benign thyroid tissue.

Also most thyroid carcinomas are extremely slow growing and do not spread easily.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.