1. The operative procedure is known as Sistrunk's operation.
2. This involves removal of a core of tissue around the tract of the thyroglossal cyst
along with a wide margin of normal tissue till the base of the tongue.
3. The middle third of the hyoid bone
must be removed to prevent a recurrence.
4. Along with routine pre-op investigations including the fistulogram, remember to get thyroid ultrasound
, thyroid function teats and thyroid scan done to locate the thyroid tissue present and to prevent the inadvertent removal of a lingual thyroid
, which may be the only functioning thyroid tissue in his body.
5. It is curable. After following the above guidelines, it should not recur.