Have a large ovarian cyst. What are the findings from the Pap and blood tests?

Mar 2013
I need clear understandable advice on Pap and blood test results received today 14th October .2013
I have a large ovarian cyst that the doctor is insisting I need removed urgently. He also said he would remove the womb and cervix!!. The problem I have is that I am overseas on holiday. I need to know if I should return to the UK immediatley or can I wait four weeks. I also don't understand fully, are the tests saying I have cancer, a risk of cancer or no cancer and I shouldnt worry. I have attached the test results. I Would really appreciatte an understandable explanation of the test results in clear " english" and non medical terms. Many Thanks
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
I will try my best to be helpful to you in terms of clarity and content.
Firstly, your blood tests are absolutely normal, I can see no cause for alarm.
Secondly, you have not uploaded the ultrasound / CT scan test results, so I have no details regarding your ovarian cyst, so commenting on its removal would be premature.
Thirdly, I have your Pap smear result on hand, so I can tell you about it.
It indicates abnormal cells in the cervix, of stage 1, it is the beginning so to say, alongwith infection with HPV, the virus that causes these changes in the cervix.
For such stage 1 abnormality, the standard of care is to wait and watch.
You would need regular Pap smears every 6 months ( because risk of progression to cancer is EXTREMELY LOW in such women ).
If the same abnormality persists at 2 years or higher grade of abnormality is observed, then still observation can continue or removal of the superficial cells maybe attempted.
Also, the next logical step is a colposcopy and biopsy.
This is visualization of the cervix with a telescope, if this is abnormal, immediate removal is advised, this definitely DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A HYSTERECTOMY ( removal of the uterus and cervix ), it could be a removal of just the abnormal cells by laser, cold laser or a cone of the diseased cells.
If you need removal of the ovarian cyst, then your doctor might have logically adviced removal of the uterus and cervix too alongwith, to eliminate ANY risk in the future.
To answer your question specifically, you DO NOT have cancer.
You have a risk of cancer, a VERY SMALL risk that too.
You can definitely wait for a month, even more, as I said, even for the next step testing of colposcopy, once you return to the UK.
Regarding the ovarian cyst, that MIGHT change my opinion, I would be happy to receive details of the cyst.
All the best, and enjoy your holiday !
Please feel free to ask any further follow up questions.
Follow-up: Have a large ovarian cyst. What are the findings from the Pap and blood tests? 42 minutes later
Hello, Thank you so much for your detailed easy to understand explanation. The Gyneocologist did not take a CT Scan of the Cyst, he took a photograph and stressed it was large, it was very very red, the image of my cervix showed some white discolouration/growth. Is it also possible for you to say how I have the HPP Virus. I have been married for 32 years and neither of us have had ANY other sexual partners throughout our whole life.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 9 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
One cannot take a photo of the ovarian cyst, the cyst is inside your abdomen, without cutting you up or doing it laparoscopically, a photograph cannot be taken.
Please let me know how was the ovarian cyst diagnosed.
Also, the photo that you mention, of the cervix, is most probably the colposcopic image, the one I mentioned where the cervix is visualized in detail with a lens.
It would help to know the colposcopy findings, probably based on that, your doctor advised hysterectomy.
HPV is definitely transmitted sexually, there is no other route for transmission.