Have a large greenish yellow, blue bruise with a patch of small red dots after taking injection. What can be done?

I have a large now greenish yellow, blue bruise with a patch of small red dots. I got this bruise from the injection I had to have of anesthesia before my abortion. Blood was also drawn to determine my blood type. Is this bruise normal or infected etc? The bruise was sore at first for a few days and it still feels better to have my arm rested instead of folded or leaning on it, applying pressure weight on my arm.
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for sharing your query.

I have gone through your picture uploaded as well.
I don't think there is anything worry about the bruise you have. Usually a bruise takes 7-14 days to disappear.
If the bruise is fresh, i.e. less than 48 hours, you can do a ice compress to stop the flow of blood.
If the bruise has occurred more than 48 hours before, you can do a warm compress to help it resolve faster. This will also relieve your pain to some extent.

If you have pain, you may have analgesics like Diclofenac and paracetamol. Do not take painkillers containing Ibuprofen.

Bruises typically change color in a progression in the healing process; from a reddish color, to a gradually darkening blue or purple, followed by green or a yellow-brown color.

In case you see it spreading more or pain increasing, you should consult your physician. However, this is unlikely and most bruises resolve spontaneously on their own.

I hope this is useful to you. I will be happy to answer any follow up queries you have.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.