Have a hole in heart valve. Getting chest pain, shortness of breath, fatigue. Medical test normal. Any advice?

I was born with a heart murmur and I also have a small hole in one of my heart valves. I found the hole out when I was a teenager. However, I am 28 yrs old now. And lately I have been having chest pains, shortness of breath, fatigued, and dizzy whenever I exert myself or exercise. I can get dizzy when I bend over and get really tired. Sometimes my lungs feel heavy or tight and I have this dry cough that goes with the shortness of breath. I already went to the doctor and they ran an echo, blood test, chest-x rays, and EKG and they all came out normal (within the normal limits). Which they said I don't have asthma, I'm not anemic, I don't have blood clots in my blood and my heart doesn't look enlarge and my lungs don't have fluid in them. However, I haven't seen the cardiologist not until the 17th. I have a hard time finishing my 8 hours day of work as a pastry chef. Does anybody have advice or suspect what I might have? I forgot to mention they also checked to see if I have a thyroid problem and they said that came out negative. I hope this helps.
Thank you!

Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

With history of congenital heart diseases, there are chances of your chest pain to be due to cardiac illness. I believe the cadiac problem which is causing the symptoms could be latent and can be unmasked by exertion. The best way to rule out such latent cardiac problems is by getting a Stress test / Tread mill test done. Do get this test before your cardiologist opinion to rule out heart problems completely.

The other possibility which could cause such problems in you is acid peptic disease. Do try a course of antacids like Tab PRILOSEC OTC once in the morning before breakfast for a week and observe. If there is any improvement then it proves that the chest pain you had could be due to acid peptic diseases. You can then continue the antacid course for few more days to be cured of the problem.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.