Have a bicornuate uterus. Planing a pregnancy. Is it risky? Will it cause problems?

HI I have a bicornuate uterus is it problem and actually i am planning for pregnancy so can u suggest is fine or risky?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Radhika 43 minutes later

You have been diagnosed with a Birconuate uterus and you are also planning for a pregnancy.

A bicornuate uterus results from the uterus not developed properly during early prenatal development. The common risk factor with a bicornuate uterus is of preterm labor and possible cervical insufficiency. Cervical insufficiency and preterm delivery could potentially cause a second-trimester miscarriage or loss at birth if the baby is born too prematurely, such as before 24 or 25 weeks of pregnancy.

Many women with bicornuate uteri carry pregnancies to full term without any problems, so the risk may vary for each woman. The possible treatment options will be reconstructive laparoscopic surgery of bicornuate uteri, cervical cerclage (a stitch placed in the cervix to stop premature dilation and premature delivery).

Best thing is to inform your gynecologist about your condition so that you are under her watchful eye. If she suggests cervical cercilage in the second trimester, it is better to undergo it.

Hope, I have answered all your queries. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.