Have PCOD. Taking susten 200 daily. Getting pregnancy symptoms. Should i take the medicine?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I have PCOD and never had any menstrual issues. I conceived normally and am now 6weeks+. Doctor has suggested me to take MCBM-69 and Susten 200 mg every day till my Dating Scan date.
I have few pregnancy systems like all day feeling of nausea and dizzyness after taking Susten tablet. Other than that I feel completely fine.
Am i doing the right thing ?
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 22 minutes later

MCBM-69 contains multivitamins and Susten contains natural micronized progesterone.
In PCOD some amount of hormonal imbalance can be there. So may be because of that your doctor might have recommended susten to you.

Susten will help in the continuation of the pregnancy and also prevent premature uterine action.
And it is comparatively safe drug in pregnancy. Minimal side effects can be there as you are having but they will subside soon.
So you can continue the drug as advised by your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have PCOD. Taking susten 200 daily. Getting pregnancy symptoms. Should i take the medicine? 4 minutes later
Hi Doctor Sree ,

Thanks for your reply.
So looks like the tablets that I am taking are safe for pregnancy.

I am just worried that the foetus is growing in the right way without any issues due to the PCOD that I have.

Is there any way before I go for my scan for me to be sure that my pregnancy is going well and I dont need to worry ?
I am just worried that the foetus development should not get affected because of my PCOD issue.

Also I have been diagnoised with Hypothyroid condition 6 months back , but with medication(thyrox 50mcg) my TSH , FT3 , FT4 are all under normal limits with no issues. Should i be worried about this affecting the development of the baby ?

Thanks for your time..

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 14 minutes later

Uterus can be palpated per abdominally only after 10 to 12 weeks. So in early pregnancy it is difficult to estimate the baby growth without the aid of ultrasound. Anyhow if you are not having spotting, pain abdomen etc we can consider that the fetus is growing well.
As you are taking hormonal supplementation PCOD may not affect the pregnancy.
As your thyroid hormonal levels are normal with treatment, the development of the baby can be normal.
You have to undergo periodic checkup for thyroid profile and adjust the dosage of the tablets accordingly with your doctor's advice.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.