Have PCOD. Planning for a baby. Is it safe to take oosure caps? Suggest diet plan

I am a 30 yr old home maker. I got married in XXXXXXX 2011. Now we are planning for our first child. I was having irregular periods and after USG, it was diagnosed that I am suffering from PCOD. I have gained around 13 kgs since marriage and now weigh 79 kgs. Thyroid profile is normal in my case. My question is can I become a mother? One of my friends suggested Oosure caps for this. Should I start taking this? Would be great if you could help me out with a proper diet chart as well. I am consulting a homeo, my periods got normal now, but I am gaining too much weight. I have got osteoarthritis, so can't do a lot of exercise as well. Please help me out!!!
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 20 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The path towards the diagnosis of PCOS was probably related to irregular cycles. Testing for other thyroid issues was normal. As you know, the key to your condition is weight loss, as PCOS is related to insulin resistance, or a pre-diabetic state. In fact, with pregnancy, the complications related to diabetes in pregnancy and risk for high blood pressure disease are significantly increased.

Vitamin supplements and homeopathic approaches are certainly not harmful, but the key to increasing your chances of getting pregnant and having a healthy pregnancy is weight loss. This involves caloric restriction and exercise! Most patients who are successful employ a program such as Weight Watchers and often benefit from the hiring a personal trainer. This might help in terms of working with you and your osteoarthritis.

Can you become a mother? Of course you can! Some women are able to get pregnant even though they have PCOS, but sometimes they need medications to help them ovulate such as clomid or metformin.

As far as diet charts, consider an App for your phone called LoseIt. This is an honest, private way to look at your diet and intake. It is a great place to start. Also, call your doctor and ask for a referral to a Nutritionist - they will have better information than I can provide you here.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have any followup questions. Good luck!