Has the Huntington disease, not being able to remember things and care for self properly. Suggest?

Nov 2013

my brother has the Huntington disease, he lives in XXXXXXX la. his disease has progressed ti point of not being able to remember things and care for self properly. every place we seek help says they can't help us.what actions do we take now?

what agencies will be able to help us? his daughter has power of attorney.she has tried everything
she wants to help but all people and agencies say they can't help. hes at the point something has to be done. they say he can't go in nursing home he gets too much money.we don't know next step. hes being treated by doctor in his area, can he help get him in nursing home or institution.
thanks for any advice
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 22 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.

It is unfortunate that your brother has Huntington's disease.
While it is true that this disease can not be cured, as it is a genetic disease, there are various things that could be done to make him feel better.

This would include medications to control his involuntary movements (such as tetrabenazine, anticholinergics, etc), medications for his behavioral changes (anti-psychotics), etc.
Second would be his feeding and nutrition.
Third would be regular physical therapy and exercises.

I am sure these can be better done while at hospital or an institution, rather than at home.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog: