Has severe cough. Vitamin D test result show <20. Suggestions

I am XXXXXX. I want to know regarding Vitamin D levels of my husband. He stayed in Netherlands(Europe) for 2 years. Its very cold place and temperature would be less than 10'C always. After coming from Netherlands he had severe cough and also taking a course as said by Pulmonoligist. We came to know that if Vitamin D levels could also be the reason for Asthma and Cough. He had took the Vitamin D levels test and result is 8.59(per the report < 20 is deficiency). I have also attached the report. Please suggest as the next course of action.

Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 32 hours later

I have seen the reports and indeed your husband is having deficiency of vitamin D. Vitamin D levels decrease the immunity of the body and predispose one to infections. vitamin D deficiency is linked to increased airway reactivity, lower lung functions, and worse asthma control. Hence your husband needs to take vitamin D supplements.

Regarding vitamin D levels, your husband needs to take a XXXXXXX of vitamin D with milk or curd once a week for 8 weeks and then once a month. Each XXXXXXX contains 60,000 IU of vitamin D. He can take these sachets under his physician’s guidance.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.