Has cold and cough. Given t-minic. What can be done?

My 2.10 year son had cold 2weeks back then t-minic given..for 3 days.but little cold he had till yesterday but from night he z having cough that disturbs his sleep I gave portion cs 1.5 ml ..twice from mornig
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 4 hours later

Relax,there is nothing to worry.It is common for young children up to age of 5 to 6 years to get recurrent respiratory infections due to decrease immunity.

As mentioned by you last time he had cold which got settled and now he is having cough which is disturbing his sleep.

I would like to know what is composition of syrup that you had mentioned.

I suggest you to monitor
-any fever.
-pattern of cough
-if it is dry or productive in nature.
-his appetite and overall activity.

For relief of cough
-give steam inhalation 2 to 3 times for 5 minutes.
-give warm fluids as they will be soothing.
-give soft bland diet so as to maintain nutrition.

Regarding medication I will not advise you to do any self medication as cough syrups are given depending upon nature of cough.

Wait for 24 hours,if symptoms get aggravated I suggest you to get him examined by pediatrician for physical examination so as to ascertain cause of cough and treat accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.if you have any further questions I would be glad to help.

Wishing your baby good health.

God bless!!

Follow-up: Has cold and cough. Given t-minic. What can be done? 4 hours later
Dr checked his chest just 3days back ..dr told his chest z clear no prob but from yesterday he got cough.. I'm giving piritone cs 2ml three time .after giving that his cough z less.and giving him normal saline spray 4 to 5 times as he has stuffy nose .giving him hot water. Day time cough z normal night if he cough wakes and fever.activity are normal.

Applying vicks vaporub twice...its productive cough
Eating normally..
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 22 minutes later
Thanks for your follow up.

This is good that your child is active .

Since you have mentioned that you are giving piriton cs which contains dextomethorphen and chlorphenarimine which is used as cough suppressant in dry and allergic cough.

But you are mentioning that cough is productive in nature for which I suggest you to get your child re assessed by pediatrician.

In the meantime give steam inhalation,and continue with saline spray .

I suggest you to give honey with 1 to 2 drops of ginger during night.

Take care..

Follow-up: Has cold and cough. Given t-minic. What can be done? 4 minutes later
Thank u dr
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 8 minutes later
you are welcome.

Wishing you and your family good health.

God bless...