Has ALS and is in a persistent vegetative state. What is causing cold, redness in arm and hot arm?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My husband has ALS and is in a Persistent Vegetative state for the past 9 months. Today his left upper arm is red and feels hot and the lower arm is ashy and feels cold. What can be causing this?
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The redness of the upper arm and ashy lower arm is likely to be due to affection of the cholinergic nerve fibres. This might be a short term self limiting problem.
Other cause can be due to nerve pinching at the level of cervical spine. Avoiding using a pillow might help in reducing these symptoms.
It needs an evaluation by a neurologist in case the symptoms are persistent.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Has ALS and is in a persistent vegetative state. What is causing cold, redness in arm and hot arm? 26 hours later
Can it also be due to poor circulation?

Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It can be due to a poor circulation in the area but the vasoconstriction is likely to be due to a nerve degeneration. An evaluation by a neurologist will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.