In post cardiac arrest state. Unconscious and had tracheostomy. CT scan shows diffuse cerebral edema. Will brain function normally?

Question
sir my brother is in post cardiac arrest state .he is unconscious have ryles tube, tracheostomy tube for 3 months. ct scan shows diffuse cerebral edema due to global brain hypoxia.. is conscious able to get in future ? normal brain function is possible in future after treatment?
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not very bright Chances

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking.

Brain can not withstand for prolong period of time, any inciting agent which leads to injury to the brain causes the brain cells to swell up ( edema).

The chances of full recovery depend on case to case basis though as a general rule longer is the period of the hypoxia lesser are the chances of full recovery.

A three month long period of unconsciousness with diffuse brain edema makes his chances of recovery slim.

Thanks.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Follow-up: In post cardiac arrest state. Unconscious and had tracheostomy. CT scan shows diffuse cerebral edema. Will brain function normally? 15 minutes later
one or two years any chance to recovery is possible? or life long he will be vegetative state doctor? there is no chance for speak (getting conscious) ?

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Low Chances

Detailed Answer:
I will say the chances are very low though not totally zero percent.It is possible but not very probable.