Had unprotected sex while on implanon. Started spotting. Concerned for pergnancy

Im 22 year old female Ive had the implanon in for 4 1/2 years. I had my period which lasted 10days the night my period stopped me and my partner had unprotected sex, and the following night we have unprotected sex again. its been 7days since my period and i have begun spotting. Im concerned as i may be pregnant? I done a test this morning and it didnt work.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 8 minutes later
I would be happy to help you.

First- are you aware that the implanon only lasts for 3 years?
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex while on implanon. Started spotting. Concerned for pergnancy 56 minutes later
Yes, I'm on my second implanon.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 7 hours later
Thank you for the followup - sorry for the delay.

The implanon can only be considered a reliable form of birth control for about 3 years, so for the last 1.5 years, you have been at risk for pregnancy.

If your cycles were regular, then one can assume that you likely were not ovulating at the time that you had intercourse (cycle day #10). Most women ovulate around cycle day #14. The bleeding that you experienced might simply represent bleeding that sometimes occurs around ovulation related to a brief, abrupt drop in estrogen levels.

Nonetheless, you need to check a reliable pregnancy test now and repeat this in one week. If it remains negative, then you are not pregnant. You need to have the implanon removed and need to be on some other form of birth control in the meantime.

I hope that this helps and good luck!