Had unprotected sex, taken Unwanted 72. No period, negative pregnancy test, excessive discharge. What do you think?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
Hi
I am 22 years old. I had my periods around the 28th of XXXXXXX . A week after my periods got over I had unprotected sex. And took unwanted 72 after a couple of hours. It's been over a month now and I haven't had my periods. I have taken 2 home pregnancy tests (5th n 6th march) and both were negative. What do u think it could be.. Hope m not pregnant.. And also I've been discharging a lot n have had a prior cases of UTI.. Please help
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 52 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Unwanted 72 provides contraception by preventing the fertilized egg from traveling down the fallopian tube and implanting in the uterus.

However, as these pills contain high dose of hormones, they interfere with the regular cycles & cause delay in the subsequent cycle.

In case of pregnancy, the tests usually comes positive within the 1st week.
So, if you have calculated the dates properly(considering that February had only 28 days), presence of 2 negative tests rule out pregnancy.

The discharge can be attributed to infection in the genital tract, as Unwanted 72 does not offer any protection against them.

So, it will be better to consult a Gynecologist & get a proper examination done.
So that appropriate management steps could be taken.

Also you can do another pregnancy test after 5 days, just to take care of any mistake in calculating the dates.

Wishing you a Good Health. Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, taken Unwanted 72. No period, negative pregnancy test, excessive discharge. What do you think? 5 hours later
Thanks for the quick reply.
I need to ask then that the delay in my periods could be due to some infection.... because i tend to discharge a decent amount before my periods. But this time the discharge has been prolonged for few more days.

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 9 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for your review & follow up query.

You are right, the delay in periods could be due to some infection in the genital tract, as evidenced by the increased amount of discharge.

Investigations like culture & sensitivity of the discharge will be helpful in selecting the appropriate medication to treat the infection.

So, please consult a Gynecologist & start the treatment.

Hope I have been able to answer your query.
Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Thanks & take care.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, taken Unwanted 72. No period, negative pregnancy test, excessive discharge. What do you think? 53 minutes later
Thanks for the reply doctor...

I can be absolutely sure that i am not pregnant in that case ?
And when can i expect my periods to come again ?

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for your follow up queries.

1. If the delay in periods is due to infection, then pregnancy can be ruled out.
You already have 2 negative results in pregnancy tests.
To confirm further, you can carry out another test after 4 days or get blood tests done under the guidance of a Gynecologist.

2. The emergency pills can delay the periods to as long as 10-15 days, so you may need to wait for that.
However, in case of infective etiology, the periods can be delayed as long as the infection is not controlled.

So, please consult a Gynecologist for further management.

Hope I have been able to answer your queries.
Please let me know if you have any further query.

Thanks & take care.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, taken Unwanted 72. No period, negative pregnancy test, excessive discharge. What do you think? 13 days later
I wanted to know if use of unwanted 72 could skip a period. I had my last period around the 27/28 of XXXXXXX and a week after that I took the pill.. And haven't had my periods ever since. I took pregnancy tests and also got a urine culture to check why I was getting excessive discharge. The culture result showed that i had no infections. Is there something I need to worry about ?

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 23 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for your follow up queries.

1. As I have already mentioned in my previous answer, emergency pills can delay the periods by 10-15 days. But since the delay is getting prolonged, it may be a reason for concern.

2. Though negative urine pregnancy test rules out the possibility of pregnancy, you might need a blood HCG test to confirm it.

3. The urine culture test can only rule out any infection in the urinary system (kidney, urinary bladder)
It will not give any information about presence or absence of infection in the genital tract (vagina, cervix, uterus)

4. Other than pregnancy, causes for delay in periods can be many such as infections, anovulatory cycles, hormonal imbalance, any pathology in the uterus, ovary, etc.

So, kindly XXXXXXX a Gynecologist.
Appropriate management steps will be taken based on complete history, physical examination & co-relating the findings with investigation reports.

Thanks & take care.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, taken Unwanted 72. No period, negative pregnancy test, excessive discharge. What do you think? 4 hours later
There have been no signs of pregnancy...So can i be rest assured that there's no chance of pregnancy.
And can u tell me some other way to get assurance as i cannot tell all this at my home. So i am avoiding the gynecologist.

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 6 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for the follow up query.

1. The best method to confirm pregnancy is detection of gestational sac by Ultrasound scan.
But this has to be done under the guidance of a Gynecologist.

2. As you do not have any signs of pregnancy till now & all your pregnancy test have come negative, you can be assured that you are not pregnant.

The delay in periods can be attributed to the hormonal imbalance caused due to intake of Unwanted 72.

So, there is no need to worry.

Wishing you a good health.