Had unprotected sex. Took an Ipill. Will the affect last for a second time? Should she take Ipill again?

May 2013
I and my wife had a unprotected sex on 2nd may and she took i pill on 3rd may. Now again today it happened (unprotected sex). Her periods are due on 24th may. Can she take i pill again coz we don't want pregnancy ?
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
thanks for the query.
i-pill is emergency contraceptive pill, which should be used within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse to prevent pregnancy.
As in first act you used it within 24 hours, it might have given protection.
i-pill can be used more than once in a cycle but please remember that it should be used only for emergency purpose and it is not an alternative to regular methods.
With repeated usage of i-pill menstrual irregularities can occur and nausea, vomitings etc side effects are there.
This time as per her menstrual cycle, if she is having regular cycles, the ovum might have released. So, the chances of pregnancy are low. Even though let her take pill to avoid any possible chance of pregnancy.
From now onwards try to use some regular contraceptive method after consulting your gynecologist.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.
take care