Had unprotected sex. Taking novelon. What are the chances of getting pregnant?

Question
We had unprotected sex yesterday. My girlfriend is taking Novelon (oral contraceptive), continuing her second pack. is there any chance to get pregnant? Should she take emergency contraceptive pill?
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

As your girl friend is taking oral contraceptive and as this is her second pack then there is very less chances of having pregnancy.

Confirm that she is taking this medicine regularly without missing any tablet. If she has taken her medicines regularly without missing the chances are very less and there is no need to take emergency contraceptive pills.

But if there is any doubt about the regularity of pill use, then she needs to take emergency contraceptive.

Hope, I answered your query. If you have further query or clarification, please ask.
I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Taking novelon. What are the chances of getting pregnant? 47 minutes later
Dear Doctor,
Thanks a lot for the valuable advice. It is confirmed that she has been taking the pill very regularly. However, I forgot to say you two more points earlier regarding this.

1) Novelon was advised to my girlfriend for PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome).
2) The day before the unprotected sex she took the pill with XXXXXXX warm water as she had cough?

Will you advise some more regarding these points and the present situation?

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

It does not matter for what reason the oral contraceptive tablet was taken. Its action is to produce anovulatory cycle i.e. it does not allow to produce ovum; so there is less chances of pregnancy.

It also doesn't matter if she had a cough or taken the pill with XXXXXXX warm water. However if she has taken any other medications such as antibiotics besides the contraceptive pills, it can increases the chances of pill failure and pregnancy. In such cases, she needs to take the emergency contraceptive pill.

Hope it is clear. If you do not have further query or clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.