Had unprotected sex. Small raised bumps appeared on penis, swelling and tenderness in groin area. Herpes?

Psychiatrist
Question
I am concerned I may have contracted an STD. I have small (largest is slightly smaller in diameter then pencil eraser) raised red bumps on my penis each with a small dark redish scab in the middle (no bigger then ballpoint pen tip). there are six total and they are spread out. 5 on the shaft, not grouped together, and 1 on the head. They do not look like they contain fluid at all. They appeared 2 days ago, were most pronounced yesterday and today they are much smaller. The gland in my right groin area is also a bit tender and swollen.

I have had unprotected sex recently.

At first the symptoms sounded like herpes. But after doing a little research the bumps don't look like I would expect. No fluid, no open sores, not grouped together.

I plan to get tested on Monday regardless, but any thoughts while I stress over the weekend?

Thank you very much. XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

You are correct. The description of the lesions are not typical of herpes. The characteristic lesons are multiple small fluid-filled blisters, grouped together or sometimes, coalescing, which are usually quite painful. Having tiny scabs on top of the bumps are again very uncharacteristic of Herpes.

One infection which can present with these kind of bumps with scabs on the top is molluscum contagiosum. Here the bumps are flesh coloured and have reddish scabs on the top. They are usually not painful but can be itchy.

Anyway, it is a good idea to have yourself examined and tested for STDs, so that the appropriate treatment can be given. So, don't worry too much; go ahead with the tests on Monday.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist