Had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex. Now experiencing cold. Worried for HIV

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, one week ago I had protected sex with a random girl that was on her period. The condom did not fall off or break. I also received unprotected oral sex.

I tend to get really nervous about medical stuff, I'm panicking about me having HIV. Right now I'm experiencing a light cold, which, as I have read, can be a symptom.

It is the first time I sleep with a girl I don't know and I have never had unprotected sex other than oral.

Should I be worried? When can I get my first test?
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 28 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
Many people are scared when they start having such symptoms after sexual intercourse. This scare is enhanced when they read HIV symptoms on the internet. Acute retroviral syndrome(ARS) includes various non specific symptoms and most of the people will recognize some of them even when healthy. Also, the most hIV infection wont manifest with any symptoms. So your cold is probably caused by something else or this is psychosomatic reaction.

When talking about possibilites th risk of transmission is negligible. Condom is almost 100% safe,but unprotected oral sex isnt that safe so I suggest to use condom in oral sex too in the future. Although the risk of transmission by receptive oral sex is less than 1/10 000 exposures.Plus,your partner must have infectious HIV phase of course.

So considering these minor risks, usually doctors dont recommend testing, but if you want to be 100% and fully untensioned you can do HIV testing 4 weeks after exposure.
WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.
Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex. Now experiencing cold. Worried for HIV 12 minutes later
Does the fact that she was on her period enhances risk?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 27 minutes later
Yes but very slightly. But even with that risk is much higher in oral unprotected sex then vaginal protected. if you have some doubts about her condition or about condom break you should test.