Had unprotected intercourse and took Levonelle. Had periods before flight journey. Possibility of pregnancy?

Mar 2016

My girlfriend and I had a possible unprotected intercourse and she took Levonelle in 24 hours. Her period started just before a long haul flight from China, the accident happened 9 days later and she flew back the next day after taking the medicine.
She had some spot of bleeding a few days later. Her period isn't due after 33 days of the previous one. She has pregnancy like symptoms (bigger and softer breasts, appetite, tiredness, vomiting) however 2 pregnancy tests (the last one was 21 days after taking the pill) are negative.
Is it possible that she is pregnant even the tests are negative?
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

First thing, taking LEVONELLE (levonorgestrel containing emergency pill) within first 24 hrs of unprotected sexual intercourse gives more than 95% protection against unwanted pregnancy. Last pregnancy test was negative but it was too early for that.

In my point of view, chance of pregnancy is quite low if her previous cycle was regular but need to confirm by repeat test.

Secondly, she had little spotting after few days due to withdrawal effect of the pill. It is quite common and normal phenomena. After that, her period may be delayed for 1-2 weeks from due date due to hormonal imbalance and mental stress. Most women present with this type of late period.

Third thing, above clinical features like big & soft breast, tiredness, vomiting etc may be due to Premenstrual Symptom or Early pregnancy. Here, she needs to repeat the home pregnancy test again or undergo one blood test for beta-hCG after 7 days of missed due date to rule out pregnancy.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse and took Levonelle. Had periods before flight journey. Possibility of pregnancy? 42 hours later
Thank you very much for your answer and the deatails. I really appreciate it.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome in our Healthcare Magic Platform.

If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. All the best.

Dr Soumen