Had unconsciousness in the morning. History of brain hemmorrage. Serous something?

My dad while asleep this morning was not responding to my mum waking him up. It took him at least fourth five minutes before we could talk to him and he started to respond. One and a half year ago, the same thing happened for a period of twenty minutes, but that time he bit his tongue we suspected he might suffered a sudden case of epilepsy. My dad had brain hemorrage 7 years ago. What could have caused his unconsciousness during his sleep for 45 minutes This morning. While unconscious this morning, he was rolling over in his bed very frequently. Your feedback is highly recommended.
Posted Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 16 minutes later
Thanks for your query. These spells of unconciousness could be part of seizure episodes (also considering h/o tongue bite in the past) or transient ischaemic attacks, a mild form of stroke. Stroke can be due to haemorrhage as you had described which is called as "haemorrhagic stroke".The third possibility is pseudoseizures i.e fits of psychogenic origin that mimics seizures. Hence i would suggest MRI-brain, EEG as well as a through psychiatric evaluation to rule out the above three conditions. Kindly clarify any other query that you may harbour.
Dr Sundar