Had two ultrasounds done on calf because of calf pain. Still having sharp pain. Suggest the cure?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Had 2 ultrasounds done on calf because of calf pain and was negative. I still have a sharp pain that comes and goes? Did they miss something
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some more information on your symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I need some more information regarding your symptoms to arrive at a possible diagnosis.
- Please specify your age & gender
- Duration of your symptoms (calf pain)
- Is it present in both legs or only one side
- Location of origin of pain (exactly from the calf muscle bulk, from below upwards or from above downwards)
- Is the pain radiating down into the ankle
- Is your pain present throughout the day or is it related to any physical activity
- Does it occur only during night times
- Do you have any associated back pain or knee pain
- Do you have any other comobidities (diabetes, hypertension, thyroid etc)
- Any intake of medicines for any other ailment (to exclude drug induced pains)
- What activities worsens the pain and relieves the pain
- Are you a smoker or an alcoholic

Please provide relevant information for the above queries.

Follow-up: Had two ultrasounds done on calf because of calf pain. Still having sharp pain. Suggest the cure? 19 minutes later
Below knee, back calf pain over 6 months, dull ach, tender in both calfs.. I feel these pains all the time day or night, but now i XXXXXXX not have dull ach i am getting shooting pain, it comes and goes in seconds.. I am taking synthyroid, prilosec i was a amoker for 20 yrs but i stopped 3 months ago. I had atleast 2 -3 sonos for DVT. I was told it was negative.. The shooting pain seems to be in left leg have not noticed in right. There is no swelling, i am concered that maybe a blood clot was missed. No pain issues.. And no other medical history. Thank ypu
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be DVT.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, If 2-3 sonogram's are negative for DVT, then you are assured that its not a Blood clot.

The classical presentation of DVT include-
* Swelling of the leg or along a vein in the leg
* Pain or tenderness in the leg,which you may feel only when standing or walking
* Increased warmth in the area of the leg that's swollen or painful
* Red or discolored skin on the leg

This is just to remind that you have missed answering some queries. All of them are very relevant and may clinch the diagnosis. Please answer
- your age and gender
- intensity of pain (mild, moderate or severe)
- Is the pain made worse by exercise, walking or rest

Follow-up: Had two ultrasounds done on calf because of calf pain. Still having sharp pain. Suggest the cure? 27 minutes later
43 yrs old female, nothing makes s difference for the shooting pain, but when i have the achy calf pain, it seems worse at night, i feel i need to squeeze or massage the calf but now i am gettina sharp pinpoint shooting pain that comes for a second and then gone.. Nothing makes it worse or better, ot is threw out the and it comes and goes.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
They could be simple calf cramps

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Based on the entire information provided by you, I am of the opinion that they could be Simple Calf cramps.

Most of the time, Calf cramps occur for no known reason and they're usually harmless. In general, night leg cramps are likely to be related to muscle fatigue and nerve problems.

In rare situations, night leg cramps can be associated with an underlying disorder, such as peripheral artery disease — in which narrowed arteries reduce blood flow to your limbs — diabetes or spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal causing compression of the spinal cord).

Activities that might help prevent leg cramps include:
• Drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration
• Stretching your leg muscles or riding a stationary bicycle for a few minutes before you go to bed
• Massaging the cramped muscle with your hands or with ice
• Walking or jiggling the leg
• Taking a hot shower or warm bath
• These cramps at times may be associated with POTASSIUM deficiency and so foods such as bananas, potatoes, prune juice and dried fruit are to be taken as dietary supplement.
• Also, calcium fortified foods like seafood and fish, almonds, flaxseed, oats, prunes, sesame seeds, tofu and XXXXXXX can help to stave off muscle pain & spasm.
• Avoid acidic foods and drinks like tomatoes and vinegar which blocks the body’s natural ability to absorb calcium leading to muscle aches & muscle fatigue.
• Daily intake of Vitamin D is also helpful in relieving the muscle aches & spasms.

Hope I have justified your query. Good day