Had tremors in head,neck,hand and legs. Taking Ayurvedic Oil Treatment. Suggestions

My 14 year old cousin has had tremors in head,neck,hand and legs since childhood (when she was about 2 years old). She has a delay in speech, and speaks slowly as compared to her peers. She has balance issues and walks with a broad gait. Her parents are first cousins (consanguinity in family). There was an episode of febrile convulsion when she was 2 years old. Never encountered any such episodes post that till date. Periodical treatment of Shirodhara (An Ayurvedic Oil Treatment) over last 3 years seems to have helped considerably with her issues. Conclusion of the MRI brain scan recommended by neurologist recently shows as follows- "Focal area of increased signal intensity on DWI involving the cortico-spinal tracts.Bilateral symmetries. White matter hyperintensity in the forceps major region. In view of the imaging findings, the possibilities of metabolic disorder needs to be considered in differentials. Suggested possibility is mytochondrial leuko dystrophy. Suggested CSF evaluation/MRI spectrascopy for further evaluation"....After a few days the neurologist also asked for like blood tests, vitamin e test,sonography of abdomen and pelvic region are normal. The neurologist said that so far the case indicates 'leukodystrophies' but she couldnt confirm what type. She said that we may have to eventually put her through some more tests. One important point to be noted- Her state has considerably improved over time. She has less tremors now, slightly improved balance and now she can even dance by using complex steps. She still cannot jump with both foot in the air though. Also she is a little low on social confidence.Grateful for a detailed diagnosis of this case.Any help will be appreciated
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 40 hours later
Thanks for the query,
I understand your concern
Before I respond your question, Let me tell you that there are so many metabolic/genetic and other medical problems that can happen due to consanguinity in family. Some rare and autosomal recessive disorder can be transmitted due to this.

I have noted your medical problem
The possibilities based upon the data posted could be

1. Metabolic disease
2. Hypoxia during early neonatal life
3. Leukodystrophy
4. Cerebral palsy

I will appreciate if you can upload the MRI report/images so that I will be able to guide you better.

Best wishes