Had traumatic injury and noticed numbness in head. What could be causing this?

Nov 2013

due to a car accident I had a traumatic injury (no open wounds) to the left side of my head. when I had balance testing done recomended by the ENT doctor for the dizziness and imbalance I notice a numb feeling over the left side of my head. That is where I was hid in the accident. what can cause this?
Posted Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 13 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I wish to reassure you that your symptoms do not point to any serious problem.

The most likely cause of your symptoms is scalp nerve injury- nerves located in the skin over the skull bone.

This is a minor problem and mostly recovers in a short span of time- 4-6 weeks at most, but usually within a few days.

You may take vitamin B12 supplements to help the nerve recover faster.

I hope it helps. I would be pleased to answer any further queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Had traumatic injury and noticed numbness in head. What could be causing this? 28 minutes later
The accident was three years ago.... this just came up when I did the blance testing.... I also cannot sleep (most nights about a XXXXXXX of 3 hrs, some nights not at all... and have a very poor appetite... there are no hunger pangs at all.... I have to force myself to eat) this all came about after the accident....
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

The effect on the nerves due to balance testing is also likely to be minor and transient. I am sure you would recover fast.

Regarding lack of sleep and appetite, please get evaluated. If not done, please check hemoglobin, thyroid profile, vitamin B12 level, etc. If all are normal, you may take a sleeping medication such as zolpidem.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Bet wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)