Had teeth pulled, taking carvedilol. Can Intraoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome occur while taking this medication?

I will be having 6 or 7 teeth pulled on Wednesday 6/26/13. I am taking the drug carvedilol 6.25 mg twicw a day. In the print out from the pharmacy and on your web site it says "Before having any kind of surgery (including dental surgery or cataract surgery) or emergency treatment, tell the medical doctor or dentist in charge that you are taking this medicine. A serious eye problem called Intraoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome (IFIS) has occurred in some patients who were taking this medicine or who had recently taken this medicine when they had cataract surgery XXXXXXX
Why, what is the risk?Does the mention of the IFIS only affect you if you're having cataract surgery, or can it affect me having my teeth pulled?
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to help you.

I went through your post with diligence. My comments are as follows:

1) Interaoperative Floppy Iris syndrome (IFIS) is complication associated with certain drugs . IFIS does not usually cause significant changes in postoperative outcomes. Patients may experience more pain, a longer recovery period, and less improvement in visual acuity than a patient with an uncomplicated cataract removal. Carvedilol is one of such drug that may lead to IFIS.

2) Carvedilol which is tooth extraction can cause bleeding secondary to the trauma. Now if unknown to the dentist that you are on carvedilol, he may not be prepared to take necessary action during blood loss; further he can take necessary precautions to minimize bleeding such as adjusting local anesthetic agent dose so that they can achieve enough numbness with reduced bleeding while extraction.

3. IFIS is not related to teeth extraction.

Hope it will answer your concern.

Please feel free to contact me in case of further clarifications