Had surgery for removal of mass from hip. Stitches are stretching and falling out. How to prevent scar tissue build up?

General Surgeon
my son had surgery on monday. the doctor removed a mass from his lip. He used a complex closure. My son is 11. we forgot he was not allowed to eat crunchy food, and I gave him seaweed to eat with his rice. while eating the seaweed 1 stitch fell out. I remembered the rule about crunchy food at that moment. Now, 4 days later his stitches are stretching and falling out. He was eating hot soup today. Now I remembered the rule of - no hot food.
How can I help him now? I am afraid we have ruined the surgeons complex closure. How can we prevent scar tissue build up with out the support of those stitches? Do I need to take him back to the surgeon for more sutures...please help
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 6 hours later

Thanks for using health care magic.

I am sure the doctor must have used a complex procedure and closed in multiple layers. So there must be other layers of tissue beneath the surface also which provides strength and prevent edges of wound from giving way.

Also in lip most probably absorbable suture may have been used. And as the surgery was done on Monday and sutures have given way today, 5 days are to an extent acceptable for sutures on face.

However I would like see the child's picture focussed on the suture is question. I can be able to comment better after viewing the picture. So if you can upload a close picture taken in bright light using the option available on this web page, as to look at it and comment better.

It is also advisable to show it to the surgeon who did the surgery.

Looking forward to see the picture so that I can guide you better...

Dr. Rajat Gupta