Had surgery for brain aneurisym. Keeps passing out. Cause?

Nov 2013

my mom just had surgery 3 months ago for a brain aneurisym . Surgery came out great. she keep passing out they can't find out what cause this.
thank you.
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

In your mother's case, the most likely cause of her episodic loss of consciousness is ischemic seizures (due to lack of blood flow to brain).

The other likely cause could be gliosis changes (scarring) in brain due to aneurysm surgery.

Both these findings can be correctly diagnosed on a brain scan, preferably on an MRI scan of the brain.

I would put her on prophylactic antiepileptic medication for a few months to see the response and improvement.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist