Had surgery for Sciatica. What kind of diet should be taken?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had Seargery for Sciatica 6 months Feb 24th of 2013 and I am fine now. What kind of food diet I need to take for getting my earlier fitness it doesent mean I am not fit I am okay but still I am scared of few activities like running, waking fast and Jumping.
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need high protein,vitamin c,vitamin D.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case with diligence.

Some nutrients which are important for recovery after surgery include vitamin C, folic acid,calcium, vitamin D, VIT B12.So supplements of these nutrients will lead to early recovery.
So diet for early recovery includes eating fresh fruits and fruit juices, green salads and vegetables.
Diet XXXXXXX in protein will lead to early muscle building, so you can take pulses, cheese etc

Regular physiotherapy and exercises are very important for early rehabilitation as my patients find much relief by these therapies.
Stretch regularly-physical therapist provides recommendations and instruction on safe stretches that can be done following the surgery.
Move regularly-Gentle, continuous movement helps circulate the blood, bringing valuable nutrients to the area. But avoid biking , swimming, etc
Walking fast and slow running can be started gradually.
Maintenance of posture is very important to avoid recurrence of symptoms.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Had surgery for Sciatica. What kind of diet should be taken? 19 minutes later
Now I am riding the bike but not every day weekly once or twice. I case If I have to ride the bike can I ride or I should avoid because I am planning go by bike to office If that is the case can I drive continuesly 30 km per day.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If possible avoid

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

If possible avoid bike continuesly for 30 km.

If no other choice then you can use lumbar corset while driving and take a break in between.

Follow-up: Had surgery for Sciatica. What kind of diet should be taken? 27 minutes later
Thank you very much Dr. XXXXXXX

Lumber Corset is a belt ? where can I get this.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
yes lumbar corset is belt.
you can get in medical store.