Had lump on the tongue before tongue piercing. What could it be?

I had my tongue pierced 2 weeks ago today, but about 5 days ago i had a red sort of lump come up on the top of my tongue in front of the piercing and im quite worried about it. It looks quite irritated, but its not sore when i eat or drink only when i touch the lump. If i could get some advice on it that would be great
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Observe, should regress.Otherwise, get consulted! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this red lump that you have observed on your tongue. I have carefully reviewed both messages and the information that you have provided. This red lump resembles granulation tissue. granulation tissue gets formed when a the body tries to repair a wound. During the piercing, a wound was was sustained(insertion) and the body is trying to get this repaired. In this process, there may be some excess tissue that presents as a bright red lump as in your case. Generally this will regress over time. But, should it continue to grow or persist, then a medical consulted would be warranted for more measures to be utilized to get it controlled. I will not want to think that this in anyway represents and infectious process because of the nature of the growth and also the absence of pains. It clearly fits the description of wound healing. For now, monitor a little longer. Failure to regress or continued growth should prompt a medical consultation. otherwise, be calm and relaxed. I wish you well. I hope you find the above information helpful. Please fell free to request for more information or clarifications if need be. Thanks for using our services. Dr. Ditah, MD.