Had subacute thyroiditis but stable. Am I at risk of developing hashimoto disease?

Excellent

Endocrinologist
Question
hi. I had subacute thyroiditis 2 years ago but my thyroid has been stable for 2 years and that's why my family doctor doesn't think that it'll get hypoactive in the future but I wonder if I'm still at risk for developing hashimoto's disease which is a form of hypothyroidism? my blood type is O+ and i'm a women in my child barring age. I've been told having an O+ blood type and being a women in her child barring are risk factors for developing hashimoto's disease.
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 33 days later
Thyroiditis can be complex for the non-expert physician to interpret and manage. That is why endocrinologists are best equipped to handle this condition.
The key is to diagnose the type of thyroiditis. Subacute thyroiditis is just one sub-type. There are several other kinds. In the autoimmune variety, it is possible for the individual to have a greater susceptibility to develop hypothyroidism in the future. However the best approach is to monitor the thyroid function over time, through blood tests. If they stay steady then infrequent monitoring is justified.
Sometimes, the thyroid function evidenced by TSH/free T4 can go from hyperthyroidism to normalcy to hypothyroidism and then back to normal. Being a young woman is definitely a risk factor for being vulnerable to thyroid disorders. Having positive blood test for thyroid antibodies such as TPO and TG auto-antibodies confers a greater likelihood of developing the condition.

Follow-up: Had subacute thyroiditis but stable. Am I at risk of developing hashimoto disease? 52 minutes later
but another endocrinologist told me that since my thyroid has been stable for the past 2 years after having subacute thyroiditis. this does predict that i'll have no problems with my thyroid in the future but it doesn't guarantee it and that's why my family doctor will have to check it every 6-12 months in my blood. the fact that it has been stable for the past 2 years after having subacute thyroiditis, does it predict that i'll have no problems with my thyroid in the future? thanks bye

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 8 hours later
I agree with your endocrinologists' comment that because it has been stable for the last couple years it is less likely you will develop thyroid problems in the future but as (s)he said to you too that there is no guarantee that it will not re-occur.
I also agree with your family doctor's suggestion to monitor it once or twice a year in the form of blood tests, or symptom-guided, meaning if you feel you are experiencing symptoms suggesting an overactive or underactive thyroid you may wish to get checked.

this weblink describes what you may expect if you became hypothyroid

WWW.WWWW.WW
And the following one refers to 'hyper'thyroidism:

WWW.WWWW.WW