Had stiff lower legs, itch at times and swollen around ankles. Do regular exercise. Underlying cause?

Spine Surgeon
Question
I have had stiff lower legs for about 3 months (wake up with them and lasts all day even after exercise), they itch and at times are swollen around the ankle. I am healthy other than this taking regular exercise and am the right weight for my size.
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
needs to be investigated

Detailed Answer:
Stiff leg may be due to multiple reasons. Is there any pain in the legs? feeling of imbalance while walking? any trouble with urination?
Most common is due to stiff muscles and due to wear and tear in joints with age. Other serious reason such as spinal stenosis especially cervical spine stenosis or brain related disorders need to be ruled out. I would suggest to consult a physician and get a thorough exam to differentiate the problem like if it is local in the legs or any thing related to nerves. If it it is related to nerves then you may need to get MRI imaging. Thanks.

Follow-up: Had stiff lower legs, itch at times and swollen around ankles. Do regular exercise. Underlying cause? 2 hours later
thanks for your reply few points

1. stiffness is to the lower legs calf muscle area on both legs nowhere else
2. at times the ankles swell
3. both calf areas itch constantly and the skin has become dry
4. rest or taking exercise have no effect the stiffness remains

regards

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 36 hours later
Brief Answer:
need to be investigated

Detailed Answer:
I would suggest to consult a physician and get a thorough exam. You may need to get mri spine and doppler studies of both legs. Thanks.