Had spinal injection. Need back fusion. Having bad headache. Took water pill and lying flat. Remedy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2013
Jul 2013
Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
The name is XXXXXXX I was in contact with you last night, I posted a reply question Let me start over, ok. I HAD A SPINAL INJECTION TUESDAY, THE 1ST OF October, IT WS DONE BY MY PAIN MANAGEMENT DR., FOR THE PURPOSE OF TRYING TO RELIEVE THE PAIN IN MY LEGS AND LOWER BACK, L3,4,5, NEED A BACK FUSION, TRYING TO DELAY SURGERY, ANYWAY, BACK TO THE ORIGINAL STORY, AFTER THE INJECTION, A BAD HEADAHE STARTED, BACK OF NECK, ABOVE LEFT EAR, I WAS ADVISED BY YOUR SERVICE TO TAKE A WATER PILL AND LIE FLAT, I HAVE DONE THIS, THE HEADACHE IS STILL THERE, JUST TOOK THE WATER PILL. WAITING FOR THE RESULTS, WHAT IS YOUR OPINION OF WHAT IS GOING ON? REGARDS, XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Headache is an established complication.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Non-specific headache & neck pain/stiffness are established complications after a spinal injection and may occur in 40% of those undergoing the procedure.

Most spinal headaches resolve on their own with no treatment. However, spinal headaches lasting 24 hours or more may need treatment.

The first course of treatment for spinal headaches involves supplying adequate hydration to try to increase cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) pressure.

If the symptom is not improving, sometimes intravenous fluids (fluids administered into the veins) are to be given. At times, you will be advised to drink a beverage high in caffeine.

Strict bed rest for 24-48 hours is to be followed and is recommended.

In addition, if a person develops a spinal headache following a procedure, the anesthesiologist can create a blood patch with the person's blood to seal the leak.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further