Have head ache on left side. Migraine?

From last few days, my wife is suffering from head-ache and it is at one side of the head (left side), I suspect this might be something like migrane. This is observed after she gave birth to our child. Could you please help me out why this is happening, is this because of any vitamin deficiency. What are the reasons which could lead to such situations. What would be the medication for this.
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 38 hours later
Thank you for writing in.

From your query I learn that your wife has recent left sided headache following child birth ( post-partum headache ).

From neurological perspective one need to consider following causes for left sided headache at this age.They are vascular headache ( migraine), tension type headache, referred pain (secondary to neck pain, localized causes), cerebral sinus venous thrombosis, posterior reversible leuko encephalopathy syndrome (PRES) and left sided structural brain lesion.

During post - partum period, there is stress,reduced sound sleep (need to feed the child often), causes tightening of scalp muscles leading to headache ( Tension type headache).Also one need to consider migraine headache. There is tendency for thrombosis during post partum period which lead to cerebral sinus venous thrombosis and headache.

Vitamin deficiency cannot produce headache.

It should be emphasized that clinical examination and detail history is needed to arrive at a diagnosis.If headache is worrisome need to consult neurologist for examination and she may require CT scan brain to rule out structural lesion

May I ask you few questions to help you better.Does she have previous history of headache ? (for migraine headache), whether headache is throbbing or non throbbing? Duration of headache? Any visual disturbances? Any other associated neurological symptoms (unconsciousness, tingling limbs etc), any history of high Blood pressure during pregnancy (for PRES)?

Meantime she need to have plenty of fluids ( 3litre per day), do neck relaxation exercise,( that relaxes muscle ), timely food and take rest whenever child sleeps and can have Naprosyn 250 mg after food for severe headache .

Hope I have answered your query.