Had spinal cord surgery due to arachnoid cyst. Recent MRI showed cyst growing. Surgery?

Excellent

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
I had undergone spinal cord surgery due to arachnoid cyst (4CM) on last sep 2012.
Recently, I went for MRI check-up after surgery review. Now, the cyst(1CM) is growing again. Please let me know whether I need to gofor surgery again?
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Brain Tumor

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
arachnoid cyst

Detailed Answer:
dear sir
hello
wishing you a speedy recovery
spinal arachnoid cyst is a benign cyst unlikely to recur .
resurgery is not indicated if you are asymptomatic
mostly lot of space is created on surgery . mild increase in size is accomodated
but you need to keep a regular watch on size by repeating MRI after every 6 months
i ,d like to know what was biopsy report

thanx
dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX
director neurosurgery

Follow-up: Had spinal cord surgery due to arachnoid cyst. Recent MRI showed cyst growing. Surgery? 2 hours later
Sir, Thanks a lot for your kind reply. I have uploaded the biopsy (Histopathology) report. So far, 1cm cyst grown. Could you please confirm whether it will grow further or not? Is there any tablet available to control the cyst growth?

My doctor told me to take another MRI after 1 year. whether I need to take it after 6months or 1year? is there any side effect for frequent MRI?

In the latest MRI, the Disc Bulge seen in L5-S1 level. I am having light leg pain/numbness. whether this issue is due to disc bulge or arachnoid cyst?
For disc bulge, whether i need to go for physio theraphy or surgery?

I am egarly looking for your reply. Thanks in advance.

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Intraspinal arachnoid cyst

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir
Hello
I have seen your histopathology report
It shows only arachnoid tissue , no other lesion .
So nothing much to worry about . it,s abenign thing . very unlikely to grow again
No medication available for arachnoid cyst .
You can get your MRI at 6 months to relieve your anxiety level
Occasional leg pain/numbness can be due to disc prolapse.
Which can be managed very well with physiotherapy +/_ medications

Thanx
Hope this answers your query

Dr Praveen k Nath

Follow-up: Had spinal cord surgery due to arachnoid cyst. Recent MRI showed cyst growing. Surgery? 37 minutes later
Once again, thanks a lot for your reply, Doctor.
I have a one last query; In MRI report, Disc Bulge mentioned. Whether disc bulge and disc prolapse are same?
I am having right leg pain almost every day. If i go for physio treatment; it will be cured, no need for surgery. can you please confirm?

Brief Answer:
arachnoid cyst

Detailed Answer:
dear sir
hello
disc prolapse & disc bulge are same process. but disc bulge is smaller prolapse
for right leg pain you should take some analgesics/ muscle relaxants ,along with physiotherapy.
mostly patients with pain only are managed conservatively.
surgery is for patients who have some neurological deficits or severe pain not responding to analgesics.

thanx
dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Had spinal cord surgery due to arachnoid cyst. Recent MRI showed cyst growing. Surgery? 13 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your kind response.

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
arachnoid cyst

Detailed Answer:
dear sir
hi again
thanx & my best wishes always

dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX