Had silicone breast implant. Hard lump appeared on nipple. Mamogram clear. Worrisome

I had silicone breast implants 2 years ago. I now have a hard lump on my left nipple behind the scar.I had a mammogram 2 months ago and everything came back clear. This was before the lump. Should I be worried?
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Inflammation, redness and swelling around the deep sutures are all a fairly normal part of the healing process. At times a condition called Mondor's disease also develops, in which case blood clots are formed in blood vessels at the incision site.

Although, during the healing process and depending on the type of sutures used, the body responds to the sutures by creating small lump(s) called granulomas. Granuloma formation is the body's reaction to anything it considers foreign (in your case the sutures) and tries to wall it off. If this is the case, this is perfectly normal and not of any concern.

But, in either case, you should visit your plastic surgeon/cosmetologist who will evaluate and determine whether there is any underlying condition that requires attention.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. I would be more than happy to help clarify any more queries.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Had silicone breast implant. Hard lump appeared on nipple. Mamogram clear. Worrisome 3 minutes later
Is 2 years later still considered the healing period? This is what worries me. It has never been there before.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later
Hello once again.

No, two years is a long time, and does not fall under the healing phase. But, as I mentioned, this lump could be a granuloma that has resulted from the healing. This will have to be examined both physically and with the help of non-invasive imaging.

Do not worry about this. Just visit your doctor, who will surely examine you and find the cause. As of now, this does not seem to be of much concern.

Wishing you lots of luck.