Had shoulder injuries. Noticed lump above the crease of elbow. What is causing this?

Question
I noticed a lump on the inside of my arm right above the crease of elbow yesterday. It dosen't hurt and seem firm but not real hard. It seems to move with the skin or muscle there. Size seem to be aprox. a quarter coin. you can see it raised if look at be a certain angle with arm straight out. This is my left arm that is weak as it doesn't get used alot because I'm right handed. I'm 51 years of age and have had shoulder injuries in both that have not required surgery and have healed with excersing only but taking a very long time to heal up too a year or longer.
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later
Dear,

I empathize with you. You mentioned that you noticed a painless, quarter coin size lump on the inside of the forearm near the crease of your elbow. Based on this description, the 2 possibilities which I can think of are lipoma and neurofibroma. Both these condition are harmless, benign condition.

Other possibilities that are concerning present with symptoms apart from the painless nodule - you mentioned none. Monitor the progress of the lump. You need to seek medical attention if you notice other symptoms or there is rapid growth in the size of the mass.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Kindest regards
Dr.SKMukherjee

Follow-up: Had shoulder injuries. Noticed lump above the crease of elbow. What is causing this? 5 hours later
I also forgot to tell you, that my brother was just diagnosed with melanoma cancer 4 months ago in a late stage, and also was just diagnosed with kidney cancer, but he was on a nuclear submarine while in the navy and the VA is saying his case is probably from that...but as anything else not 100 % certain. Just wanted to say this if it might chance your advise at all. My brother did have a original site for the melanoma which was a mole on the back of his knee that became a sore and grew very fast with in a month....

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 3 hours later
Dear Sir,
Thank you for writing back.
I have already mentioned that if you find the mole is growing fast and you feel worried you should seek medical advice. The description which you have given to us it seems it is absolutely harmless. You mention about your brother and I am sorry to hear that he got melanoma. I do not think that this is comparable to your condition.
Kindest regards
Dr.SK Mukherjee.

Follow-up: Had shoulder injuries. Noticed lump above the crease of elbow. What is causing this? 11 hours later
Thank you for your advise...I'm sure it was just an oversite, but I'm a female and it was a lump not a mole. I will keep a watch on it over the next few weeks and if it grows, I will see a doctor. Thank you for your regards regarding my brother. Even though he is in a advanced stage, he is steady after surgery and no kind of treatment. He just had a 3 month full body mri and a catscan of his head and by gods grace there is no change in his test results. Now they are going to tackle his kidney cancer, which they seem to be draging their feet on, but they are experts and have good reason I'm sure. Thank you again and good day or night depending on the time.

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 1 hour later
Dear Madam,
Please accept my sincere apology for addressing you as Sir. As for your brother, I convey my best wishes to him.
As with regards to your problem, I am sure this is a benign condition.
Kindest regards
Dr SK Mukherjee.

Follow-up: Had shoulder injuries. Noticed lump above the crease of elbow. What is causing this? 8 days later
Thank you Dr. SK XXXXXXX for responding to me and for you kind words and advise as I know you must a very busy person. Much respect to you, ~XXXXXXX~

Thank you . Kindest regards Dr Mukherjee