Had sex after period ended and took ipill norlevo. Had brown spotting. What could it be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012

Question
I've had sex with my girlfriend the first day after her period ended and she took emergency contraception (norlevo) 9 hours later, 7 days later she witnessed light brown spotting, no I heard these spottings can indicate pregnancy, knowing that her next period is in 2 weeks
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Normally with the emergency pill taken within 72hours she should be free of pregnancy. The chances of pregnancy are very slim (actually less than 2%). She could be experiencing just a side effect of norlevo. Norlevo can present after taking it with missed period, intermenstrual bleeding etc. Reason why it is not advised to continually take it, but rather subscribe for a traditional birth control method.
Just exercise some patience with your girlfriend, I am sure she will be fine and if in 2 weeks her menses does not come, let have get a pregnancy test after a couple of days just to be sure that she is not pregnant.

Hope that this helps to reassure you and wish you both the best.
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Had sex after period ended and took ipill norlevo. Had brown spotting. What could it be? 11 hours later
What about working out? Could that cause the spottings?She jjust started working out lately

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 hours later

Yes, amongst the numerous causes of abnormal vaginal bleeding in women is recent exercises. Be rest assured that everything will work out for the best.

Hope this helps further.
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Had sex after period ended and took ipill norlevo. Had brown spotting. What could it be? 23 hours later
that's very helpful, but today her breasts started to swell or as she said: got bigger...could that be another side effect? and if they were side effects why are they showing a week after taking the pill?

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 minutes later

Thanks for updating,

Breast engorgement is not a side effect of the medication but could rather be a symptom of pregnancy. I feel it is best that she conducts a urine pregnancy test. She should take early morning urine to conduct the test. From there, you can both be sure of her pregnancy status. If pregnancy is not responsible, then you will require consultation with a gynobs.

Hope this helps further.
Dr. Nsah