Had protected sex, kissing. Will I get HIV?

Question
12 days ago i have participated in sex with a prostitute by using condomn.

It was not broken and also i have not left the condomn there in her.

I have given a lip kiss to her, this is my first sex in my life.

Can you please let me know will i get hiv ? im too much worried. I have not seen any changes in my body.

Also i just touched her vegina with my tongue just for 2 seconds on that i was not having any wounds in my mouth.
My resistence power is very low. any disease like cough , cold will get immediately.

please let me know is there any chance i will get HIV..

If i need to contact you i will XXXXXXX you defecitely pls give me your address.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX,

I can understand your concern for the transmission of HIV but since you have protected sex with condoms, chances of transmission of HIV are less. Oral sex with an infected partner carries a small risk of HIV infection and this risk if present if you have bleeding gums or tiny sores or ulcers somewhere in the mouth, which causes a risk of HIV entering the bloodstream.

Hence chances of HIV transmission are very less in your case. In case you are apprehensive about the status of HIV then you can get investigated for it. Most people develop detectable HIV antibodies within 6 to 12 weeks of infection but sometes it may take upto 6 months.

I suggest you to do a rapid HIV test which uses a blood sample or oral fluids and is easy to be done. This should be followed by a Western blot and PCR (viral load test) which can identify HIV in the blood within two or three weeks of infection.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.
Regards.

Follow-up: Had protected sex, kissing. Will I get HIV? 58 minutes later
Thank you very much doctor for you reply but I have a question I don't have any disease in my mouth or any where else, but I don't know about her while talking to her I think she is also fine no damages are there in her mouth also i think so...but can you tell me one thing when onwords the hiv symptoms starts...? till now i don't have any such type hiv symptoms....whenever i browse internet about hiv related issues I'm worrying and also if i think about my parents i thought of do suiscide also but that is very foolish..can you tell me one more thing next saturday I'm planning to go for check up and blood test also...is that good or I need to wait for 2 more weeks???

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing back to me.

I understand what you say and i can sense your apprehension as well. Relax, as i said before, the chances of transmission of HIV by oral sex are very less. If you are not having any sores or bleeding gums, then it decreases the chances of transmission of HIV all the more.

CDC (centre for disease control and prevention) has clearly stated that specific fluids (blood, semen, vaginal secretions, and breast milk) from an HIV-infected person can transmit HIV. These specific fluids must come in contact with a mucous membrane or damaged tissue or be directly injected into the blood-stream (from a needle or syringe) for transmission to possibly occur.

Many people do not develop symptoms after they first get infected with HIV. Others have a flu-like illness within several days to weeks after exposure to the virus. It is not necessary that you have to wait for weeks to get investigated for HIV.

HIV testing is done with a blood test and is done in full confidentiality. The blood is first tested by ELISA test which is a screening test which looks for antibodies in the blood. Then if it is positive then Western blot test is done to look for specific proteins of HIV. These tests may show accuracy after 6 weeks to 6 months as HIV antibodies take time to develop in the body.

You can get a rapid test for HIV done now and get it repeated after 6 weeks of suspected HIV exposure.

Regards.