Noticed red spot on penis head. Had sex with unknown girl. Worried about HIV infection?

Question
Hi Doc, 2 weeks back i had sex with 1 unknown girl, she did a blow job without condom and then we had sex with condom but unfortunately i removed condom in the middle and my penis head touched her pussy, though i didnt insert, but now all of a sudden i noticed a red spot on the head of my penis(visible if i pull the fore skin down), i am afraid and consulted urologist and he said a sexual disease and prescribed medicines for week, do you think i have HIV. i am really afraid and i am going nuts. :(
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 32 minutes later

I agree with your urologist as from the photographs, STD’s like syphilis should be ruled out. Syphilis is a sexually transmitted infection caused by Treponema pallidum. The symptoms start with a sore on the penis which turns into an ulcer, which is called a chancre. The chancre heals spontaneously after 4 to 6 weeks.

The other possibility is of balnitis penis which is due to fungal infection of the penis. I suggest you to get the lesion swabbed and a KOH examination and a complete STD panel be done.

Many people do not develop symptoms after they first get infected with HIV. Others have a flu-like illness within several days to weeks after exposure to the virus. For HIV infection, unprotected intercourse done even once is sufficient for transmission of HIV but if the penis did not insert inside the vagina then chances of HIV are less. CDC (centre for disease control and prevention) has clearly stated that specific fluids (blood, semen, vaginal secretions, and breast milk) from an HIV-infected person can transmit HIV. These specific fluids must come in contact with a mucous membrane or damaged tissue or be directly injected into the blood-stream (from a needle or syringe) for transmission to possibly occur. If there was no such contact, chances of HIV transmission are less likely.

If you are still apprehensive then you can get tested for HIV. HIV testing is done with a blood test and is done in full confidentiality. The blood is first tested by ELISA test which is a screening test which looks for antibodies in the blood. Then if it is positive then Western blot test is done to look for specific proteins of HIV.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed red spot on penis head. Had sex with unknown girl. Worried about HIV infection? 15 minutes later
THanks for your response doctor.
Is my problem very serious? Or is it curable as u said in4-6 weeks
Also forgot to mention i also licked her pussy..will this also pass Hiv?
Also we had a lip to lip kiss..

My urologist said no need to check for HIV now he said my allergy on penis will go down in a weeks time and asked me to visit after a week.
I am really afraid and having restless hours.

Am i in some serious trouble?
Please help me doctor.

Also just to add up let me list the medicines my doctor had prescribed

Ceftum 250mg
Forcan 150mg
Pan 40mg

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

You have been prescribed antimicrobials ( antibiotic and antifungal) for the symptoms. Hence your doctor may be suspecting a bacterial or fungal infection.

If it is syphilis then also it is completely treatable. A single injection of penicillin can stop the disease from progressing if you've been infected for less than a year. For those allergic to penicillin, other antibiotics may be used.

Oral sex with an infected partner carries a small risk of HIV infection and this risk is present if you have bleeding gums or tiny sores or ulcers somewhere in the mouth, which causes a risk of HIV entering the bloodstream. If you had given her oral intercourse with open sores in your mouth then HIV transmission can occur. Licking of skin with no visible sores on skin and with no sores in your mouth does not transmit HIV.

Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed red spot on penis head. Had sex with unknown girl. Worried about HIV infection? 12 minutes later
Hello doctor,

Do you suggest i should go for complete blood test for HIV? Or should i wait till the completetion of medicine?

By reading your reply, i understood that i am in no risk and will be a happy healthy person in few days.

Also i would appreciate your precautionary measures for me if i indulge i sex after 2 weeks from now. Condom is for sure though.

Thanks
Follow-up: Noticed red spot on penis head. Had sex with unknown girl. Worried about HIV infection? 34 hours later
hello doctor,

Awaiting for your valuable response.

Shiuld i go for full blood test?to check for syphilis?
If syphilis even kissing someone and giving oral pleasure also spreads ..is this true?
How long should i stay away from my girlfriend?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later
Hello XXXXXX,

Thanks for writing back.

You can complete the course of medicines prescribeda nd then get a blood test for HIV done. Although chances of HIV are least likely in your case, for your peace of mind you can get HIV testing done.

You can get the investigations for syphilis if the symptoms persist even after the course of antibiotics. Syphilis can spread by vaginal as well as oral sex.

Regarding you can use condoms while having intercourse and use dental dams when indulging in any oral form of oral sex. However avoid intercourse till there is complete healing as friction rub during intercourse may irritate the lesion.

Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed red spot on penis head. Had sex with unknown girl. Worried about HIV infection? 18 days later
Hello doctor, hope u are doing good.

As you are aware of my old issue which i discussed earlier, that symptoms went off and there are no more red patches(ulcer kinda) on my penis.

But now i am suffering with another issue that my penis is completely swollen noe whuch started with unbearable itching on penis and balls. This swellimg is just kept on increasing.

I approached the same doctor and he said its infection but persisting, so changed the presception, previously i was taking doxy-1 twice a day+pan 40 once a day+zole-f ointment . Now doctor had asked to stop everying and given new medicine...sumo - half a tablet twice a day+pan 40 once in the morning+allegra 180mg once after dinner+linid -once after dinner.
I am really concerned now.
I have also attached pictures for your reference.

Can you please help in advising what exactly is the issue and what steps do i need take care in curing.
Awaiting for your quick response.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I have checked the photographs and there is indeed swelling of the penis. Sudden swelling of genitalia is usually due to allergies. You have been prescribed an antiallergic Allegra. Moreover it can be due to an infection for which you have been given the antibiotic Linid.

Other than that, apply moisturizer and wear cotton undergarments. Also use mild soaps like Dove and take the medicine as directed as Sumo tablets which you have been prescribed is an anti inflammatory drug. It should help you in reducing the swelling.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you good health and a speedy recovery.

Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed red spot on penis head. Had sex with unknown girl. Worried about HIV infection? 2 minutes later
Is this any kind of disease? Something serious?
Waht does this called..? Swelling reduced a little after i take this medicine for a day.

Am i in serious trouble?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

It is good that the swelling is going down with the prescribed medicines.

There is nothing to worry as symptoms of an allergic reaction usually improve after taking the antiallergics. It is not serious and the swelling should subside in 5-7 days with the medicines.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards.